HOW IS THE DENTAL ABSCESS TREATED?
The main principle of treatment is to drain the accumulated pus and remove the source of infection. This can either be done through the tooth by doing a
Root canal treatment
or via the gums by incising and draining the abscess. This is followed by a complete course of antibiotics and pain relievers. If the infection still persists the patient is referred to an oral surgeon for the surgical removal of the infected area.
WHAT CAN BE DONE TO PREVENT THE SPREAD OF A DENTAL
The best way to prevent an abscess is to visit your dentist twice a year. At these appointments, your dentist will:
1. X-ray your teeth once a year to check for decay between
the teeth and to evaluate the health of
your jaw bone.
2. Examine your teeth and mouth.
3. Remove any plaque and tartar that have built up on your
4. Teach you how to care for your teeth and maintain good
oral health.5. Alert you to any problem areas.
6. Recommend any needed treatments.